Histomat: Adventures in Historical Materialism

'Historical materialism is the theory of the proletarian revolution.' Georg Lukács

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Red Professors

Scott McLemee has analysed neo-con David Horowitz's new book The Professors: The 101 Most Dangerous Academics in America, which incidently includes English Professor James Holstun, whose work on Class Struggle in the English Revolution I have mentioned on this blog. Apparently Holstun is objectively 'Islamofascist' like most of the other Professors on the list. Just as Stalinists attacked 'Trotsky-Fascists' in the 1930s, now the big bogey man of apologists for imperial power is 'Islamofascism'.*

In other news, Maps has kindly replied to my 'top ten current favourite revolutions', highlighting ten revolutions in the twentieth century that I missed but were pretty damn important/sexy. Far more interesting to read about than my efforts.

*I was once described as being in favour of 'Islamo-Trot-Fascism' by a drunk Welsh ex-Stalinist neo con because I was a member of Respect. Has anyone else been called this - or do I get some sort of reward for being called it first?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:27 pm, Blogger FraVernero said...

Hei! I´ve just discovered your blog, and I LOVE it!
It´s not usually easy to find fellow marxists and history students arround, believe me! Well, maybe in the english-speaking world, certainly not in Galiza (a small nation inside the spanish state)...
I´ll take a long look at your old entries. Already seen an interesting list of classic marxist historiography.
What do you think, by the way, of Carlo Ginzburg´s 'Cheese and Worms'?
I´ll come again from time to time. I´d recomend you my own blogs, but I´m afraid you wouldn´t profit much from them -being as they are written in galician, our national language.
Keep going!

 
At 3:28 am, Blogger maps said...

Funny stuff on Louis Proyect's site about the Horowitz opus:
http://unrepentant.blogspot.com/2006/02/nation-magazine-continues-rancid.html

 
At 3:29 am, Blogger maps said...

Ah, sorry, wrong link, here's the right one:
http://unrepentant.blogspot.com/2006/02/two-customer-reviews-on-amazoncom-of.html

 
At 12:13 pm, Blogger Snowball said...

Fraverno,

Many thanks for your kind comments. I am afraid I have not read the Carlo Ginsburg work you cite, but by all accounts it is supposed to be very interesting study. Thanks for linking to my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home